Pathophysiology for Paramedic student.
Assignment Requirements A 3000 word essay on the following topic:
“What will kill you first: smoking, a high fat diet or alcohol abuse?”
The essay should be structured to include information on the following areas:
1-General Background/Introduction: Setting the scene May include;
– Overview of key/common health-related risk factors/mechanisms of disease
– Epidemiology/prevalence of health issues related to smoking, a high fat diet and alcohol-abuse
– Establish the whole patient context (ie consider interactions between risk factors).
2-Pathophysiology and pathology: Major content (can be more than one section) May include;
– Description of the impact smoking, a high fat diet and/or alcohol-abuse has on the relevant body system/s.
– Mechanisms responsible for the development of pathology/pathophysiology.
– Key manifestations/clinical characteristics of major pathologies/pathophysiologies.
-Critical review/comparison of the overall impact each risk factor has on the development of pathology/pathophysiology.
3- Pre-hospital/Medical Management: Major content (can be more than one section) May include;
– Discussion of common patient presentations/conditions and their diagnosis (ie emergency and non-emergency) encountered by paramedics that result from, or are influenced by smoking, a high fat diet and alcohol-abuse
– Current pre-hospital management practices/therapies for these risk-factor related presentations/conditions – analysis of benefits and limitations
– Common complications associated with these presentations/conditions that have a significant impact on patient morbidity/mortality
– Critical review/comparison of the overall impact each risk factor has on morbidity/mortality.
4- Summary and Conclusions: Discussion section
– Draw your conclusion and support your argument with a concise summary of key points/issues discussed.
– Relate points/issues to the overall patient context (ie consider interactions).
– No development of new issues/ideas or repetition of information–conclusions made should be supported by the information provided in the body of the essay (ie you can refer to it, but don’t repeat the detail).
Very important notice:
the information you use for this assignment will come from journal articles. It is recommended you find the journal articles you need by searching the United States National Library of Medicine database using the PubMed search engine. The link to PubMed is: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed . However, here are some suggested searches:
high fat diet and metabolic syndrome and mortality
smoking effects and “pulmonary disease” and mortality
“alcohol consumption” and mortality.