After successfully completing Module 4, you should be able to:
1. Compare the “panning for gold” process to the “sponge approach”.
2. Examine and provide examples of the three parts to an argument.
3. Differentiate between finding value conflicts and assumptions.
4. Compare and contrast the “right questions” and the “elements of thought”.
Textbook and Other Readings
? Read chapters 1-6 in Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking by Browne and Keeley.
? Read Module 4 lecture notes.
Module 4 has three activities. Please consult the Course Calendar for the due dates.
Discussion Forum 4 (Module 4)
In Discussion Forum 4, post your response to the following discussion questions. Reply to at least two classmates’ responses by the date indicated in the Course Calendar.
1. Which do you use, the ‘panning for gold’ or the ‘sponge’ approach to data? How do you know which you use?
2. Describe the three parts of an argument and give two examples of arguments that have these parts. Your initial posting should be at least 200 words and should use good grammar and APA citation and reference styles.
Discussion Forum 5 (Module 4)
In Discussion Forum 5, post your response to the following discussion topic. Reply to at least two classmates’ responses by the date indicated in the Course Calendar.
The concept of ‘value conflicts and assumptions’ is key to understanding people’s arguments. What are some of your values? Remember that values are “standards of conduct that we endorse and expect people to meet.” Share at least eight of your values and explain them as best you can. Your initial posting should be at least 200 words and should use good grammar and APA citation and reference styles.
Written Assignment 4
Look at the “elements of thought” and compare them to the “right questions”. What are the similarities and differences? Is one approach ‘better’ than the other or should their positive points be blended one with the other (and if so, which ones)? Your paper should be a minimum of 3 pages and should be written with good grammar and APA style citations and references. Use double-spacing and 12-point Times New Roman font.